Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New Landscapes

Title: Stumble

Summary: “I prayed for peace and I found salvation.”

Author Notes: This is an AU. Strongly AU - if you do not like it, please jump off a cliff. This is for fun and if you do flame, make it actually witty. I hate seeing flames that go on about “lol that is suuuu geyyyzzz.” I have class, you know. This is from an original character’s point of view. I am trying something new. She isn’t perfect, she is flawed up the ying-yang. I am looking for a Beta - my grammar is not the best. I admit it; it isn’t that hard to do. Disclaimer: Naruto characters belong to the respected creator, the OCs belongs to moi.

--

Chapter II -- New Landscape
s

--

'Let's go home little one... let's go home...'

It was enough, even as the ash and daisy blossoms came tumbling from my hands into the ocean. I smiled softly with a soft good-bye and let the waves baptize me as I said farewell to my homeland. I will remember the burning image of the penny colored sky, littered with fluttering waking stars. I wonder... can my unborn child see it as well?

'Let's go home and make memories...'-

--

I wrote saying I was coming. She wrote back a week and half later ( strangely faster than my other letters ), saying she will send people to come and get me. It was to the point and decided. Most would think, moving to a foreign country would take years to save up for. If it was one thing that my husband or father left behind for me, it was a comfortable savings account. Even after selling my father's home and my own -- I was very- well off. Especially making arrangements at the airport with my two small suitcases. I'm not overly girly, I don't need that much, just a lot of pictures and my bible -- but whoever would have me across the ocean might want me take a few clothes as well.

Tsunade was right.

She did have -all- the paperwork for me. International papers, deployment papers from the Stats into Japan... everything. Even my old brown passport was out in front of me. I clenched the small booklet in my palms well looking out the large clear window of SeaTac airport. The haze of the early morning sky came in small prism fractions. It was like unlocking one glass door to see the haze behind it and showing the dreams that you wanted, but you must turn to reality or throw back into the tar pit it was created from. Forever gone within temptation and cornflower skies, it made me close those curled lashes. It was only the call and jingle of my flight number that I knew it was time to depart and I stroked the cross around my neck for good luck.

It was only slow-motion anyway, that my hand held out my travel information and that another international stamp was added to my long line markings in that worldly little leather back. It disappeared into my bag soon after and I entered into a cave of the airplane. Nuzzling myself in 1st class seat -- I'm a pregnant woman and I believe in legroom -- did I let my head roll back into the leather material. Barely thanking the young lady that handed me a cup of sparkling iced water. The rumbling of the engines and the settling of metal around me, make me loose myself in a flying machine.

I dreamt of fluffy fur cuddling me and soft dawn rays streaming upward on a vast horizon.

--

I was looking at about a 20-hour flight, considering the time differences and the long lay over I would be in Hawaii. Yet, squeaks, thuds, all organized sounds of the usual actions of airports were around me. I went through the usual motions: sleeping, bible study, writing, and a small tasks to keep my mind from being in a chatty-kathy thought land. The airplane was tiny, only seating about 30 or so people. I stuck out like a soar thumb.

Then I could see a sun over the horizon with an outline of an island to the west -- shadowed by the golden light on the horizon's edge. My cheek was pressed to the luke warm window as I stared at the picture perfect scene. I could almost envision that I was laying on a emerald grassy hill with the tall stalks weaving around me with rays on my sleepy face. Only the protesting landing gears made my mind refocus that we were descending into that fiery sunrise. By the time we landed, it would be morning and I would be in my new home.

Well, almost new home.

I regarded the small messenger bag at my feet. Poking at it with my shoe tip and even then, Tsunade said it would take week of just travel. I guess modern technology is still being discovered, there would be some things that I would miss -- but they were not things I -needed- in life. I recall looking at sadliete maps of the islands and lands connecting the grand country together.

"Anko and Genma... Anko and Genma..." my breath came out slow with each of those three words, chanting and mumbling. They would be the ones I would be meeting outside the small airport. We went down and I could feel the release of the flaps with upswept air. We jumbled, steady, jumbled, steady, jumble. With each bump or flow -- one of those names would be coming out from my lips.

My heart almost stopped when the plane jerked and the wheels finally touched the ground. The aerospace device braked and we smoothed onto the runway, my fingers went to my cross;

'...thank you God...'

--

I had my over the shoulder bag and two small cases that maybe were about ten pounds each, barely coming up to my calves as it was. I hardly noticed though, my eyes were taking in the site of the small airport -- which is about as small as mini-mart or a gas-station snack shack. I blinked around after getting my luggage and was outside in the early morning sunlight.

I placed my long shawl scarf over top of my head, to block out some of the warm rays and looked around the bustling people out on the street in front of me. There were wagons picking up some of the people that I had traveled with, some had full on ... wait, what was that? Carriages? Yes. Long wooden pallets nailed together and being drawn by either cattle or only one I saw was drawn by two brown mares. I blinked at that cart and wondered why it seemed out of place with the poorly built ones around it. Tilting my legs downward, my fingers grasped onto my suitcase handles and I lifted them up. My legs straightened and acted on their own, going to newly discovered object.

Upon coming closer and passing only a few people that were on the gravel sidewalk, I found that the wooden cart had no one near it. Blinking, I looked around and saw that it was parked in front what looked to be a small general food stand. I noticed then two people coming out and I looked them over.

They clearly stood out.

One was a young woman, a year or two younger than me I would say. Her wild light raven/lilac locks were pulled into a hasty bun at the back of her head. She wore a heavy greenish vest over a mess shirt, black shorts and black sandals boots? I blinked at the few various budging pockets on the vest and the few cases she had tied to her exposed thigh and arm. She was very lovely and her eyes like an embers in grounded earth snapped to me. Her gaze was a bit un-nerving but I kept myself relaxed, no easy fleets when her unblinking eyes took me in like a snake.

Her counterpart was about a half head taller than her and also stopped in his tracings when he saw the other woman snap to attention. He also wore a green vest with heavy pockets, what looked to be a long sleeve navy shirt, and matching pants. He wore black sandals as well, but with white wrappings going around his ankles -- disappearing into his pants. His hair was a light bark color, stringing around to his chin with a blue head-tie over it. A long black stick was in his mouth and his eyes matched his hair. They gleamed for a moment before releasing a lopsided grin.

I stood there for a moment, taking them both in but yet neither of them said anything. I slowly lowered myself again and placed the cases I was still clenching to the ground. Gripping onto the strap that was nestled on my right arm, I cleared my voice and asked in shaky tones. My Japanese wasn't perfect but I felt comfortable enough with what my mother taught me.

"...are you Shiranui Genma and Mitarashi Anko?" I asked as looked from him to her again. If she wanted to play this game, so could I and I stared without flattering my stare.

She blinked for a moment at my moment at courage before rolling her eyes and placing her hands on her hips. The man glanced to her and then to me before letting out a loud laugh, gathering some attention from the street. The woman scowled and slapped the man on the arm before letting out a quiet string of swears.

"Damn it Genma! Don't draw attention. We found her, now let's get the hell out of here." The woman confirmed what I had asked. Interesting.

Genma let a brow rose well chewing again on his rather large metal toothpick. He was about to open his mouth with what I imagined would be a rather cocky retort but he stopped. He let his attention fall on me with a smug grin and he asked with an air of manly pride, "You're correct. I am Genma and this fiery thing is Anko." She did not looked please with that comment. "But, my lady who do we have the pleasure on speaking with?"

'My lady?'

"A lady, I'm not. Just Yume." I asked with a clever roll on my tongue. "Then I guess this makes you the handsome prince who comes and carries my luggage for me, correct?"

He choked on either swallowing air or spit, I'm not too sure. Anko blinked to me with a smirk on her face as I still had the air of serenity around me. Blinking innocently and folding my hands in front of me, a woman can still have her retorts now and then. I would make sure of that. Genma grumped as he moved forward and placed both cases into the back of the wagon. I smiled softly as he looked over his shoulder at me and then went to the front to take the reins of the horses. Anko came up to rear and took my arm, taking me to the back and helping me into the back. A few patches of hay were laid about and a few blankets as well and two other bags. I was about to ask if they had slept in the wagon before Anko's hand came up to her lips and told me to be silent.

I crinkled my eyes at her in confusion before I started to take down the scarf from me head, her hand stopped my wrist. Her eyes looked into mine and I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore when Anko said the words that still stayed with me through most of the trip,

"Don't. You'd best keep it on until we reach the border of Fire Country. Even though Wave is still allowing outside trade, most of the outsiders in this place are not up for an easy welcome."

She seated herself next to me and closed the back of the carriage. I could hear Genma tighten the reins of the two mares and they whined from the rest they were enjoying.

He whistled them along and we started on a small gallop. The two horses snorted as we passed away from the small airport building and I knew that one journey was over.
Another one was just starting. I could feel Anko watching me as I looked at the passing streets and then to the ocean shores that came into view.

I raised my hands to my chin and started to pray. Something inside of me told me I would need it.

--

We crossed a place called Naruto Bridge, the long stretch made me ogle at anything. At times Genma and Anko just rattled off to each other without a care in the world, but they were also quiet as well. There was still an air about them, telling me that they were not at ease with me. Of course, I blamed it on the fact that I was still an outsider. Their voices were enjoyable when they did talk, many from what I could pick out were road signs or markers that we passed.

The air was crisp and the fresh sea air bled into cherry blossom and apple blossom trees. Like dangling keys did those petals shuffle from the light breeze, twirling the swirls of soft pinks and ivory tones.

Once we safely crossed into the boarder of Fire Country after another day - we stopped at a quaint inn for the evening and I shared a room with Anko. I was exhausted and my mind was numb from trying to remember all the Japanese I knew. It was then I could finally take off my shawl from my head. I shook out my flatten locks and snorted after I looked at my reflection from my ruffled traveling clothes. Simple black jogging pants and a lavender v-neck zip sweatshirt. Anko was in the middle of getting some dinner for both of us well I took the moment to freshen up. I slipped the sweatshirt over my head and tipped up my tank top to look at my husky tummy.

Placing my right palm against the warm surface, I turned to the side and wondered what I would look like with a full on pregnant belly. I was already slightly round, would I be a tank? Shaking my head, I tugged down my tank top fiercely and peaked down into my bosom. The cut of the tank barely went past my collarbone but I still kept looking into to check the lumps that were starting to appear. I was lucky nothing was pus over yet. Wouldn't that be a sight for my new family? 'Hey, thanks for letting me in. By the way, I have breast cancer and am pregnant. Hope I can die here in peace. Thanks!'

I nuzzled back into my sweatshirt when Anko brought back a tray of steaming food. Setting it down on a low table and seating herself comfortable. She looked over to me and said in a tone, "Well, aren't you going to eat something?"

I nodded and came to sit next to her, take one of the three bowls of rice and some tempura. She handed me a pair of chopsticks and I fumbled around with them until I could get a decent mouthful of rice into my mouth. I smiled at the small triumph I had and I grinned at Anko, who was blinking at me dumbfounded. My grin softened before I simply said, "I know, I still need practice." I munched on a piece of deep-fried carrot.

"You almost seem to fit in, sorta."

It took me a moment to realize that Anko had spoken to me. I swallowed quickly before answering her back. "I hope I can... but not too well, I guess. Still have a slight outside look about me don't I?"

"Yep. Where are those dumplings I ordered..." Anko grumbled. She poured some warm liquid into a small round cup and had a googol face for a moment, took a sip and let out a soft 'ahh!' Her cheeks became slightly flustered, so she was a drinker. I cocked my head, "Letting loose I see."
She had both eyes closed at this point and let one open to stare at me with flustered features and downing the rest of her cup. It was silent for a moment, but I didn't care if she answered or not. She still acknowledged me this time and it was a start, I sipped my tea with a smile. Anko poured herself another cup before lifting the small jug of warm liquid in front of me, "Do you want some?"

I shook my head and placed down my tea, letting my hands wrap around the warm object. Letting it warm my palms, "I can't drink, I'm with child."

My head snapped up when I heard a choking sound and I saw that Anko had nearly spit out her drink at this point. Looking at me a cocked eyebrow and her mouth started to say something but the sliding paper door caught her attention. Making her snap to Genma as his smirking face came through the door and looked at the warm alcohol drink that was splattered to the side of Anko. "Might want to clean that up. Don't want that to come out of your salary now, do you?"

Anko looked down at the mess that she had created and mumbled something under her breath, it was so low that I did not catch but I offered to help. She shook her head and went on with her business. Going to the bathroom quickly and getting some wet towels to mop up the tatami floor. Genma plopped himself down across from me and sat down cross-legged, digging into his food like it was World War III. I sipped my tea and finished my meal slowly, not wanting to over do it since I was already so tired. Genma must have noticed because his eyes softened for a moment. The clicking of his toothpick brought me out of a daze that I go in when I am about to crash-land on the floor. "Go to sleep. I'll help Anko clean up her sake. You're dead on your feet."

I nodded and glanced up as Anko came back into the room with a few wet clothes and patted the tatami floor with them. Hoping to take the edge off with the material and she nodded slightly when I exchanged goodnights and went to the place were my futon was placed out on the floor. So the drink she had was sake... I have heard of that rice wind before. It was the last thing on my mind as I let the sweatshirt fall from my shoulders and let it pole around my ankles. I felt a gaze upon me when my palm went. Automatically to my stomach and I curled up into the fabric, the jet-lag and the stress of meeting the two others were coming back to me.

My eyes were closed when my head hit the pillow and I could hear the fading murmur of two people rambling off in Japanese. I must have mumbled something in English because they paused for a moment, but it didn't matter. My mind was still lost in this translation and the only thing I welcomed after this was the sweet oblivion of dreams.

Feathers rained in my mind along with clouds falling behind me, and I could hear singing through the whistling wind.

'I'm falling God, will you catch me?'

--

The moon tonight was a tear glass doll eye, glimmering down with breast-feeding rays. Warming the shivering of the weaving fields, flowing in the soft gales there. A candle of twilight showing the way to curious foxes escaping to cozy burrows.

Wine glasses half full of heavenly clouds tinted from the late dawning rises, soon maybe it would be sunrise here. Nice surprises for the hidden cracks for those branches there, peaking to reveal a shady inn within the forest groove. The windows sheered with misty handprints and droplets of blood. The doors are old with age and mold, uninviting, but the smoke from the chimney gives the illusion that a warm fire could greet anyone.

Unused bar glasses are polished and still on a bar, reflecting the crisp frozen dead pan around them. But the changes in and out of this place over the course of the years seemed to have marked, many staying, many leaving, some still in and out.

She floated. Flying away within this despairing world, cruel children's name. Sailing away when the sunsets and the moon came out into a hop-skipping motion within that quiet place that left broken promises scatter. He was drinking in front of her in a sea of gray faces, vibrant and bright with alluring colors. She could almost reach out and stroke the silver strands that were on his head: wild and unkempt.

"Is this a dream?" she asked. If it was to him, she didn't know.

He seems to hear something because his head slowly came upward for a second and looked off into the distance. Lost in a memory and forgetting that he wasn't alone, but his head tilted downward again like a weeping willow - leaves trickling downward in sorrow. She thought he couldn't see her, but volumes around her spoke otherwise.

"I'll always be the scarecrow in a field maze, drinking bitter beer to oblivion..."

He turned towards her, mouth in shadow and one eye glowing ruby fire. He held up a curved glass that was filled with a inky brown liquid, swirling with his hand movements. She could almost imagine him crucifixed on a crossed pole with eyes gleaming to the ravens in a field of cornstalks. Clothed in shadow and wild hair hidden a straw-hat, faded gold mixing with silver strands.

Her hand reached out.

--

It was then I woke up.

--

No comments:

Blog Archive